In September 2013, Governor Patrick signed into law Chapter 77 of the Acts of 2013, “An Act Relative to Background Checks.” This new law expands the Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) checks currently used in our schools. Specifically, it requires a fingerprint-based state and national criminal record check for all school employees. The State Applicant Fingerprint Identification System (SAFIS) MorphoTrust USA IndentoGoTM has been created for this purpose.
Additional details regarding the locations, including hours of operation, are available on the registration website. The Commonwealth continues to work with their fingerprinting vendor, MorphoTrust, to set up an additional 25 enrollment centers across the state over the next few months.
At this time, all new hires are instructed to go to the registration website to register for a fingerprinting appointment at one of the available enrollment centers. Here, you will find the Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services (SAFIS) Program Registration Guide for PreK-12th Grade Education (ESE) as well as the SAFIS-FORM-004: How to Change, Correct or Update your National Criminal History Record Response paperwork.
- To register online at http://www.identogo.com/FP/Massachusetts.aspx, select Online Scheduling or by phone at (866) 349-8130.
- You will be required to provide the West Bridgewater School District and ESE Organization Code: 03230000. (Substitutes and Student Teachers may provide up to 10 districts organization codes to eliminate the need to pay the fee multiple times.)
- Unlike state CORI checks that have no associated fee, individuals will pay a fee to comply with this requirement of $35.00 for non-licensed employees and $55.00 for DESE Licensed Professionals (including those with pending applications/licenses).
- Substitutes are school employees under the new law and, therefore, must submit their fingerprints for the state and national checks. If substitute teachers hold educator licenses issued under G.L. c.71, § 38G, they will pay the $55 fee; otherwise, they will pay the $35.00 fee.
- You will be provided with a fingerprint receipt. A copy of this receipt must be returned to Jeri Ballard in the Business office as a confirmation that the fingerprints were captured.
- Do not list the individual school location. You must register under the West Bridgewater Public School District. When completing the online registration, please enter the following information for the District as your employer:
- Provider or Organization code 03230000
- West Bridgewater Public School District, 2 Spring Street, West Bridgewater, MA 02379
- Phone 508-894-1230 ext. 118
- Dr. Patricia W. Oakley
For more information please visit: http://www.mass.gov/edu/2013newsupdates/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-background-checks.html;
If you have any further questions, please contact Kim LaCroix at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.