Meet this week's #wbwildcats Wildcat of the Week: Mary Rohnstrom Special Education Teacher, Spring Street School
What is your educational background?
- I graduated in 1999 from Bridgewater State College with a Bachelor’s in Special Education. I have four kids (aged 12-22) and a sweet granddaughter who started kindergarten this year! My goal is to begin a Master’s program in 2017.
What made you choose teaching as a career?
- Since I was a young mother, I chose teaching as my profession so that I could work, yet be home as much as possible with my family.
Can you describe a favorite teaching moment?
- I have many favorite teaching moments. One of my favorite moments happens each year when I teach summer school in the Pre-K. I am always amazed at how much growth these little kids have made over the year since I last have worked with them. I love being a part of their growth and development as they continue to make language, social, and academic gains.
What do you do for fun?
- I don’t have a particular hobby. I tend to pick something up, like crocheting, but get bored easily. I enjoy anything outdoors. If I could, I would spend all my free time either hiking or camping with my kids and my dog.
What are your favorite foods?
- My favorite foods are pizza, Good & Plenty, and hot fudge sundaes. Anything with sugar suits me well…I’m trying to work on that though!
What kind of music do you enjoy?
- I have a wide range of music that I listen to...but no country for me.
What movies do you like?
- My children and I go to the movie theaters often. I love all of the superhero movies, and would have to pick Transformers as my favorite
What books do you enjoy?
I don’t read as often as I’d like to or used to. I enjoy quiet mornings reading while camping or at the beach, and usually have a Nicholas Sparks book in hand.
What Is your favorite way to spend a weekend?
- My favorite way to spend the weekend is being able to relax and hang out with my kids.
What do you love about teaching in West Bridgewater?
- I love teaching in West Bridgewater. I work with the best colleagues that anyone could ever ask for. We like to have a lot of fun at the Spring Street School. I love that we are in a community that truly cares for one another, both in and out of school. The parents in WB are one of a kind. They have shown time and time again that they rally as a community to help one another.
A fun fact about you?
- Something that not everyone may know about me is that I love tattoos. I have recently gotten tattoos for both of my girls and next up will be something that is for each of my boys.