Important Reminders for Seniors

Guidance Department Classroom Visit- September 2017

We hope that college-bound seniors have had the opportunity to visit colleges over the summer. Seniors should be actively working to narrow down the list of schools they plan to apply to this fall.

Individual Meetings

In the weeks to come, your counselor will be meeting with you individually to discuss the following:

-where you are at in the college planning process

-review college process and timeline (refer to Timeline of Events)

-review credits and graduation requirements

-review updated GPA

College Rep Visits, Open Houses and Tours

-Many college reps will be visiting WB during the fall. The college reps provide a presentation which includes an overview of their school, followed by Q & A. This is a great opportunity for seniors to continue to explore college options.

-In addition, remember to take advantage of college open houses and campus tours this fall.

-Continue to use YPFF, Choices Planner and websites such as collegeboard.org to look up college info such as admission requirements, deadlines, financial aid, etc.

Are you thinking of applying Early Action/Early Decision??If you are a student with a strong GPA, solid SAT scores and you have a college that you are strongly considering as your top choice, this may be an option for you. If so, notify guidance of your intent immediately, as you should be working on your application now.

Application ProcessIf you are using a paper application, do not mail it yourself. Bring it to the guidance office along with your application fee.If applying online, you must notify guidance immediately so that we can follow-up with supporting documents (transcripts, recommendations).

Activity Sheets/RecommendationsSeniors should have turned in a completed activity sheet (yellow form) and 2-3 teacher recommendations to the guidance office. These forms are required in order to complete and process your college application. If using the Common Application, remember that there are specific forms that need to be filled out by two teachers and your guidance counselor.

SAT/ACT Registration

Upcoming SAT Dates:

October 7- Online deadline 9/8 Late registration- 09/27

November 4- Online deadline 10/5 Late registration- 10/25

December 2 - Online deadline 11/2 Late registration- 11/21

Upcoming ACT Dates:

October 28- Deadline: 09/22 Late registration- 09/23-Oct.6/17 December 9- Deadline: 11/3 Late registration-11/4-17/17

*Please Note…In addition to the SAT Reasoning Test and the ACT, some colleges also require the SAT Subject Tests and/or the ACT with Writing.

Test Optional Schools: There are many colleges that are now considered "test optional". For a list of those colleges, go to fairtest.org

DeadlinesKnow your deadlines. There will be many deadlines throughout the year such as college applications, financial aid, scholarships and tuition deposits.

NCAAStudents planning to play Division 1 or Division 2 college sports must register through the NCAA Clearinghouse at www.eligibilitycenter.org Once you have registered, you must print the Transcript Release Form, sign it and bring it into the guidance office.

Financial Aid FormsThere are two forms that you need to be aware of, the CSS PROFILE and the FAFSA.FAFSA – required by every collegeCSS PROFILE- supplemental to the FAFSA, required by some private schools

***As always, please see your guidance counselor if you have any questions or concerns.***

Twitter AccountFollow guidance on twitter….WB Guidance@wbguidance